Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hello Memphis!

Photobucket

I like Elvis Presley. Do I? Or do I not? Well I didn't until I visited Graceland. Something about Graceland that still radiates the Elvis' aura. After visiting Graceland, I began to understand why  his fans loves him so much. His live performances were amazing (according to what I saw on the documentary). He was such a great performer. His house and possessions were very well kept. When you were in the mansion, you'll be able to see his beautiful living room with the 12' white sofa, dining room, kitchen, jungle room, TV room, peacock room, his racquet hall turned memorabilia hall, and his grave. If you love Elvis, you MUST visit Graceland! The tour includes his private jet Lisa-Marie, with gold plated safety belt, his car museum and fashion collection.

So what else is there in Memphis? The food of course, BBQ ribs, fried chicken and catfish.

Photobucket
What surprised me the most is the fried green tomatoes. Have you ever had it before? It tasted really good, it's crispy and dry on the outside (despite being deep fried, it's not soaked in oil really) and very firm on the inside, not soggy like a red tomato, but kinda like a firm potato. Also the hush puppies. I never really knew they could taste so good, I've had it before and they usually taste either too oily or burnt, the way Catfish Cabin did it was super nice. Once you pop it you can't stop! Memphis does know how to do their deep fries. 

For fried chicken we went to the town's most popular place, Gus' World's Famous Fried Chicken. When they served it, I thought since the chicken pieces looked so scrawny, I could easily eat more than 2, but nope,  I was full after a thigh and a leg. The locals could easily eat 3 pieces each. Lastly was the ribs. We had the wet BBQ sauce and the dry herbs one. It was pretty OK, I still find it a little too dry, but if you put it in the bun it makes really nice pulled pork sandwiches. Hahaha.....

I must thank my hostess for hosting me for a week and feed me like a baby! Thanks YC!

No comments: