Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Summer Fat Camp 2010 - Destination IV: Penang

Before I came home, I was craving for all kinds of seafood cooked home style. One of our favourites is the octopus. The secret to cooking good Mr. Octopus is to blanch it in hot water and once it's cooked, take it out immediately. Season it with some garlic oil and walah, you have yourself a plate of sumptuous fresh Mr. Octopus as the appetizer.

Photobucket

Our 2nd favourite is bamboo clams. Oh-my-god. They taste best in ginger and onion. Not only they're really clean (free from any sort of sand), I cannot even express how naturally sweet and tasty they are! This is dish is quite rare so not every body knows how to appreciate it. But if you are a seafood lover, I'm pretty sure you'll fall in love with this baby.

Photobucket

*Drumroll*
Our 3rd favourite is Prawns in mint curry.

Photobucket

There must be mint in this dish, without it, it looses its zing. As usual, when you eat seafood at this restaurant, they only serve the best of the season and freshest of the day. Hence, there's no doubt to the freshness of the seafood. Having such fresh raw ingredient, the seasoning, style of cooking are only secondary. But for me, I love the soup more than the prawns. Hehe... I love to flood my rice with the mint curry. I could literally just the curry sauce and rice!

Total damage for lunch was only RM54. Now, isn't that worth making a trip to Penang?

Photobucket

Before I left Penang, my aunt treated me to Thai food and she took me to this place which my cousins love. Since there were only 4 of us, we couldn't really order a lot, we ordered the deep fried kangkung (water spinach), mango salad with minced fish, omelette with Thai vegetable and cat fish kang som (tastes more of tamarind than hot and spicy like the tomyam). Surprisingly our food came out more green than red as it would typically be for Thai food and they were really nice. I like it very much because it was really appetizing and we asked the dishes to be made less spicy and sour than it would typically be. So instead of having to burn my tongue I could actually taste the food! :)

Yummy yummy yummy, yummy in my tummy! :)


No comments: